W-League: Second half resurgence keeps season alive


In front of an expectant No.2 Sportsground crowd of nearly 2,000 people, the Jets had every reason to give their all (and then some) on Saturday evening.

A season hanging in the balance with an eight-point deficit to make up in just four games, if the Jets are any chance of making the finals.

After going to the sheds down a goal, Newcastle came to life in the second half with three goals to beat out a strong Perth outfit 3-1 and keep their season alive.

Hannah Brewer came up with a big stop in just the 2nd minute of play to deny Galabadaarchchi from opening the scoring, before the Jets went up the other end and began to create a few chances of their own.

Debutant, Tessa Tamplin unleashed from a long way out without success with ten minutes gone, while balls in from her and Gema Simon went unfinished.

With a little over half hour gone, Perth went ahead and who else but Sam Kerr? The Matildas superstar rose highest and headed home to give the visitors the lead.

Five minutes before half-time, the Jets had a golden opportunity to go level after Tamplin played in Jenna Kingsley. With just the keeper to beat, the striker hit Eliza Campbell and Newcastle went to the sheds behind.

A big second-half was in store for the Jets, and in the 58th minute Arin Wright played a nice one-two with Jenna Kingsley, and unleashed a stunning long-range strike to draw the home side level.

Tails were up now, and it took just five minutes for Newcastle to edge ahead. It required a dollop of luck, after a ball in from Tessa Tamplin wasn’t dealt with at all by Glory defender, Kim Carroll.

It bounced right into the path of Tara Andrews, whose shot on goal took two deflections but rippled the back of the net to pull the Jets in front.

Not content with a one-goal lead, Newcastle continued to press forward and the substitute, Cortnee Vine nearly doubled the advantage.

A Gema Simon ball into the area forced Vine to rise high to get her head to it, which she did, but the effort was JUST wide of the post.

With fifteen minutes to go, another header went just wide of the post – this time it was Kingsley, who just couldn’t wrap her head around an Arin Wright cross.

The clock was winding down and Britt Eckerstrom came up with a HUGE save to keep the Jets in the match, getting down to deny a goal-bound Sam Kerr from levelling the scores.

There was another goal in this match – but it wasn’t from the visitors. With injury time ticking over Cortnee Vine broke into the area and after some twisting and turning, fired home to secure the three points for Newcastle.