W-League: Gutsy win comes at a cost


The Newcastle Jets have secured a gutsy win on the road under difficult circumstances, as they beat Adelaide 2-1 at Marden Sports Complex.

The win has come at a cost, with Larissa Crummer suffering a serious leg injury early in the fixture.

Despite the setback, and seeing their teammate go down in awful circumstances, the Jets rallied to all but extinguish the Reds finals hopes.

The Jets came out of the blocks quickly, controlling possession in the opening minutes and moving the ball with purpose as they looked to take the game to Adelaide.

A chanceless opening ten minutes was immediately halted after Larissa Crummer collided with Willacy when challenging for the ball.

The pair tangled in ugly fashion and it was immediately clear that the Matilda was in trouble when she motioned to the bench.

Crummer was stretchered from the field with a suspected broken leg, as play stopped for almost 15 minutes given the serious nature of the striker-turned-defender’s injury.

The Jets were awarded a penalty following the delay and Arin Wright converted from the spot to give them an early lead.

Teigan Collister

Latsko continued to threaten as the Reds searched for the equaliser, but Britt Eckerstrom was doing her best to deny them – pulling off a couple of excellent stops to maintain the Jets advantage.

Fridriksdottir would ultimately restore parity for Adelaide with a darting run and clinical finish, but the Jets were up the fight as they held on for the remainder of the half to head to the break all-square.

Both teams struggled to establish any ascendancy in the second stanza, with no clear-cut chances for the go ahead goal.

Latsko again proved a danger in attack, with a header from the set piece that thundered into the crossbar. However, the Jets defence was aware enough to scramble and clear the danger.

A few half-chances for the Jets appeared during the half, as Arin Wright willed her team to the lead with some lung-busting runs and enterprising play. Tara Andrews proved a focal point up front, but the Jets just couldn’t break down the Reds defence.

Jonsdottir and Latsko both had their chances towards the end of regulation but the Jets last line of defence – skipper, Cass Davis and Hannah Brewer – continued to repel the home side’s onslaught.

Tessa Tamplin

Craig Deans would make a late substitution, bringing on Renee Pountney just before the end of regulation.

The fresh set of legs would prove a masterstroke, with the defender breaking down the right on the counter before taking her chance on goal – with Petratos in tow to clean up the scraps of a Willacy parry and finish into an empty net.

The Jets will finish their season at home against the Western Sydney Wanderers.

Adelaide United 1 (Fridriksdottir 29′) def by. Newcastle Jets 2 (Wright 22′ P & Petratos 90’+1′)