REVIEW: Marrone header jettisons Newcastle from FFA Cup


A 63rd minute header from defender Michael Marrone helped Adelaide United knock Newcastle Jets out of the 2017 Westfield FFA Cup on Wednesday.

For a fourth successive year the Jets disappointingly fell at the first hurdle in the Australia-wide Cup competition.

New Jets recruit Dimitri Petratos looked the most likely player to open the scoring for either side in the first 45.

Petratos had a goal bound effort saved by Reds custodian Paul Izzo in the 18th minute, before striking Izzo’s right post with a firm strike just after the half hour mark.

Five minutes from half time the home side hit the woodwork through former Sydney FC attacker George Blackwood.

The Jets started the second stanza with intent and should have gone ahead in the 49th minute of play when an Andrew Nabbout rattled the crossbar.


Michael Marrone’s 63rd minute header lifts @adelaideunited into the last 16 of the 2017 @ffacup.

A post shared by newcastlejetsfc (@newcastlejetsfc) on

Adelaide made a set-piece opportunity count shortly after the hour mark when Marrone connected with Danish winger Johan Absolonsen’s corner to head beyond Jack Duncan.

With only four minutes left on the clock Newcastle substitute Kosta Petratos should have got the Jets back in the game, however he spooned an effort from a great position over the bar.

K. Petratos’ effort was the last that the Jets could muster against Adelaide on the night, meaning the Reds advanced at Newcastle’s expense.

“I am bitterly disappointed that we didn’t get through that game,” Jets Head Coach Ernie Merrick said after the match.

“We controlled a lot of the play in midfield but we didn’t turn our dominance in possession into goals.”

“There were a lot of good things to come from the match, but ultimately the score doesn’t lie and we’ll need to improve, particularly in attack.”

Adelaide United 1 (Marrone 63’)
Newcastle Jets 0
Marden Sports Complex, South Australia
Referee: Kris Griffiths-Jones