Report: Scoreless stalemate with Adelaide


It had been billed as a crucial match in the context of the top six, and both Newcastle and Adelaide flew into action looking to make their mark on the season so far.

As it wore on though, it became clear that it’d have to be a well-taken half-chance to break a deadlock which had been maintained by two determined defences.

When neither side could make the most of one in almost 100 minutes of football, a scoreless stalemate transpired which Adelaide and Newcastle can both be somewhat content with.

A Dimi Petratos free kick with almost 20 minutes gone was the first action in the Reds goalmouth of the afternoon, but a deflection off the wall meant that it didn’t come to anything for the home side.

Adelaide worked the ball around quite nicely, but it came to nothing as a number of corners and good field possession went begging for the visitors.

The best chance for the Jets of the opening half hour came on the 30 minute mark, when Roy O’Donovan just couldn’t get on the end of a dangerous looking ball whipped in by Ivan Vujica.

Matt Ridenton

United nearly went in front just prior to the break, but Craig Goodwin’s shot thundered into the crossbar and bounced clear.

The second half begun without any changes from either side, but the chances weren’t any more forthcoming. Ryan Strain and Dimi Petratos both tried their luck from a long way out, but neither hit the target.

Newcastle did have a number of chances as things wore on – Joey Champness forced an athletic tip over the bar from Paul Izzo, while Jair side-footed a golden opportunity to the Reds keeper.

Content to sit back, soak up pressure, and play for a point, Adelaide did so and despite getting the ball into good areas were unable to finish things off.

The result moves the Jets closer to the top six, but not by the margin they were hoping. Five points now separate Newcastle and Phoenix in sixth, with a trip to Geelong to face the Melbourne Victory next weekend fast approaching.