Report: Glory too good in Perth


The Newcastle Jets have gone down 2-0 to a clinical Perth Glory in the west.

It was a warm afternoon at HBF Park, with drink breaks scheduled to help players battle the tough conditions.

The Jets started the match full of energy, but were unable to create a clear-cut chance, as Vargas proved to be a threat early – well supported by Vujica and Georgievski who had a licence to get forward.

The hosts made their way into it and the game turned into an end-to-end affair, with opportunities on offer for both sides.

Glen Moss continued his strong form, pulling off an early stop to deny Ferreira. However, Diego Castro was played in behind the Jets defence soon after, squaring up for Andy Keogh who opened the scoring in the 16th minute.

Nigel Boogaard

The Jets had a golden opportunity mid-way through the half, as the ball fell fortuitously to O’Donovan off the back of a defensive clearance. After charging towards the area, the Irishman looked to square to Vargas but the Glory got there just in time to cut off his pass.

Glen Moss was again tested by Ferreira, who managed to get him one-on-one but the Jets custodian stood tall to make a crucial save. The former Kiwi-international then backed it up off the back of a corner kick and was doing everything to keep his side in the contest.

Ernie Merrick made a tactical change at the break, bringing on Petratos for Jackson – continuing his squad rotation throughout the busy summer schedule.

Dimi was bright when he joined the play, creating opportunities for his teammates and looking lively on the ball.

However, the second half didn’t go the way the Jets would have hoped, as Neil Kilkenny doubled the Glory’s lead with a long range strike just after the break.

Kaine Sheppard

Roy O’Donovan thought he’d pegged one back not long after thanks to some sublime service from Petratos, but his run was ruled offside.

Dimi delivered from distance and went close in the 68th minute but the Glory defence was resolute and proved tough to break down throughout the match.

Controversy struck as the game moved towards its conclusion, when a Ronald Vargas strike made contact with the hand of Matt Spiranovic in the area – only to have the VAR uphold the on field decision.

The Glory would close it out at home and finish victors, remaining on top of the A-League ladder.