ON THIS DAY: 11 September


Today we look back on the club’s second home match of their first Hyundai A-League campaign when, on a sunny Sunday afternoon Newcastle Jets welcomed the highly fancied Sydney FC to the Hunter.

Then nicknamed “Bling FC” because of the tag as the glamour club of the league – which was underpinned by the marquee recruitment of ex-Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke – Sydney FC boasted a number of ex-Socceroos and former Newcastle United players.

The starting line-ups were:

Newcastle Jets   Sydney FC
1. Liam Reddy (Gk) 1. Clint Bolton (Gk)
3. Jade North 2. Iain Fyfe
5. Ned Zelic 3. Alvin Ceccoli
12. Paul Kohler 4. Mark Rudan
22. Allan Picken 6. Ufuk Talay
7. Richard Johnson 7. Robbie Middleby
8. Matt Thompson 8. Matthew Bingley
10. Nick Carle 10. Steve Corica
9. Ante Milicic 15. Sasho Petrovski
16. Labinot Haliti 9. David Zdrilic
Coach: Richard Money Coach: Pierre Littbarski

The Jets made two changes following the 1-1 draw with the Mariners the week before, introducing Labinot Haliti and Paul Kohler for Craig Deans and Mark Bridge, while marquee signing Yorke found himself on the Sydney bench.

Jets striker Ante Milicic was played through on goal by a deft Nick Carle pass and managed to beat the oncoming Clint Bolton and score in the sixth minute at the Gonninan end of the ground. It was his second goal in as many matches, both provided by Nick Carle in a partnership that would continue as the season progressed.

In the 18th minute Milicic turned provider for former Premier League player, and Novocastrian, Richard Johnson to score and give the Jets a 2-0 lead.

The Jets continued to pressure the Sky Blues but couldn’t extend their lead, and former Newcastle United captain Matt Bingley was substituted by the visitors before half time.

Half time saw the introduction of Yorke for Robbie Middleby which resulted in the dominance of play start to shift back towards Sydney.

In the 70th minute, Terry McFlynn was shown a straight red following a dangerous tackle and the ensuing coming together saw fiery Jets left back, Mateo Corbo receive a red for a second bookable offence. Both teams were down to 10 men.

Sydney FC managed to pull a goal back in the 78th minute through Yorke to make it 2-1 but it wasn’t enough as the Jets held on for the final few minutes to claim their first victory of the new competition in front of 9,127 fans at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

Newcastle Jets 2 (Milicic 6’, Johnson 18’)
Sydney FC 1 (Yorke 78’)
EnergyAustralia Stadium, Newcastle
Referee: Matthew Breeze
Attendance: 9,127