A gallant loss for the Jets


The Jets were defeated 2-1 by the Roar at Ausgrid Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The Newcastle Jets were defeated 2-1 by the Brisbane Roar at Ausgrid Stadium on Saturday night.

Ryan Griffiths put the home side 1-0 up just before half time, but some tactical goalkeeping and two second half goals secured the win for Brisbane Roar as well as the A-League record for 35 consecutive games unbeaten.

Newcastle was put on the back foot early against a typically vibrant Brisbane Roar outfit, forced to defend two free kicks within the opening five minutes.

Brisbane marksmen Besart Berisha and Henrique both worked themselves into goal space early on, but mistimed their final shot comfortably into the hands of Ben Kennedy.

A wonderful exchange between Labinot Haliti and Griffiths on the edge of the area created Newcastle-s first opportunity, but Michael Theoklitos arrived to shut down the attempt.

The Jets dominated proceedings for the final 30 minutes, creating a number of chances and corners in quick succession, closing out the half.

Jobe Wheelhouse got on the end of a Kasey Wehrman corner in the 31st minute, his header forcing a diving save from Theoklitos to keep out the home side. Nikolai Topor-Stanley then rose high in typical fashion just minutes later to head Griffiths- corner over the crossbar.

Their final opportunity came 44 minutes in when Griffiths was played through on goal from a golden ball from Ruben Zadkovich. Griffiths kept his composure to slot the ball past Theoklitos to give Newcastle a 1-0 lead going into the break.

The Jets wasted no time after the restart and instantly doubled their advantage when Jeremy Brockie was in space at the back post, Theoklitos pulling off a great save to keep his side from going further behind.

There was turmoil in the Jets defence on 50 minutes that resulted in Kennedy being stretchered off after colliding with Tarek Elrich and being concussed. This brought Jack Duncan into the game to make his A-League debut, with Matthew Nash still injured and unavailable for selection.

The Roar-s defence continued to be under pressure and came close to going two down when Ivan Franjic almost headed the ball into his own net on 55 minutes.

It seemed Brisbane were handed a lifeline and they went on to equalise a minute later when the Jets handed over possession for the Roar to counter attack and find the back of the net through Henrique on 56 minutes.

The away side finally took advantage on 83 minutes with a quick corner finding substitute James Meyer unmarked in the penalty area to give his side a 2-1 lead, and claim an unlikely three points.

Looking ahead, Round 8 against Adelaide will be the Jets focus to claim three must-needed match points on the road before returning home for Newcastle-s highly anticipated clash with Melbourne Victory on December 3.

Match Details

Newcastle Jets FC 1 (R.Griffiths 44-)
Brisbane Roar FC 2 (Henrique 56-, Meyer 83-)
Saturday 19.11.2011
Ausgrid Stadium

Newcastle Jets line up:
1. Ben KENNEDY (GK) (30. Jack DUNCAN (GK) 51-), 4. Nikolai TOPOR-STANLEY, 6. Ben KANTAROVSKI, 7. Kasey WEHRMAN (25. Jacob PEPPER 71-), 8. Jeremy BROCKIE, 10. Ruben ZADKOVICH, 11.Tarek ELRICH, 12. Jobe WHEELHOUSE, 13. Sung-Hwan BYUN, 14 Labinot HALITI (24. Francis JEFFERS 74-), 23. Ryan GRIFFITHS.
Substitutes not used: 2. Taylor REGAN.

Brisbane Roar line up:
1. Michael THEOKLITOS (GK), 2. Matthew SMITH (c), 3. Shane STEFANUTTO, 5. Ivan FRANJIC, 6. Erik PAARTALU, 7. Besart BERISHA, 8. Massimo MURDOCCA, 10. HENRIQUE (21. James MEYER 79-), 11. Issey NAKAJIMA-FARRAN (18. Luke BRATTAN 74-), 16. Mohamed ADNAN, 22. Thomas BROICH.
Substitutes not used: 19. Jack HINGERT, 30. Matthew ACTON (GK)