Jets knocked out of FFA Cup


The Newcastle Jets were defeated 2-0 by Perth Glory in their FFA Cup Round of 32 fixture at Magic Park on Tuesday night.

After a cagey opening 10 minutes, the Jets enjoyed a period where they were able to build attacking pressure on the visiting Glory.

Joel Griffiths looked dangerous down the right flank in the early stages and won a corner for the Jets in the 16th minute.

Craig Goodwin delivered the ensuing set-piece into the heart of the penalty area forcing Glory goalkeeper Danny Vukovic to punch the ball away.

However his clearance went only as far as Jonny Steele, who was fouled on the edge of the box attempting an audacious first-time volley.

Griffiths stepped up to take the free-kick and brought a sharp diving save from Vukovic as the ball looked destined to nestle in the bottom corner.

Perth opened the scoring four minutes later, largely against the run of play.

Sidnei Sciola was released down the left flank, before cutting the ball back across the penalty area where Andy Keogh was on hand to toe-poke the ball home off the underside of the crossbar to make it 1-0 in favour of the Glory.

The Jets responded positively with Jeronimo rattling the crossbar with a vicious swerving shot from 30 metres out that had Vukovic beaten.

Less than two minutes later, Griffiths did brilliantly to bring down a ball over the top down, before playing a clever pass through to Jeronimo.The Argentine striker managed to hold off two Glory defenders, but could only stab the ball wide of the goal with only Vukovic to beat.

Neither team was able to create any further clear-cut opportunites in the minutes leading up to the half-time interval, with Nebojsa Marinkovic going closest from a Glory free-kick that skipped past Ben Kennedy’s goal.

The visitors had the first sight of goal after the break, with Mitch Nichols playing in Keogh, who could only hit the side netting with his volley from an acute angle in the 49th minute.

The Jets went close to grabbing an equaliser in the 61st minute, with Jonny Steele’s inswinging corner met by a powerful header from Griffiths that brought a fantastic reflex save from Vukovic.

A short time later, Goodwin played in Steele on the left wing, with the Northern Ireland international bearing down on goal before unleashing a powerful drive that Vukovic had to parry away at his near post.

Perth had two golden opportunities to put the result beyond doubt in the final 10 minutes of the contest, with Kew Jaliens denying Sideni with a crucial goal-saving block, before Keogh hit the side netting in a one-on-one situation with Kennedy.

The Glory eventually did get their second goal in the 87th minute, with Nichols breaking free down the right before squaring the ball to an unmarked Keogh, who finished from point blank range to ensure Perth progressed through to the Round of 16.

Newcastle Jets 0

Perth Glory 2 (Keogh 20’, 87’)

Crowd 2,877 at Magic Park