Report: Jets succumb to City loss

The Newcastle Jets have put in a spirited performance despite going down to league leaders Melbourne City 2-1 at McDonald Jones Stadium.

The matched started with both sides approaching the game with caution before Trent Buhagiar tested City keeper Tom Glover who was forced into a smart save.

City took the lead through Richard van der Venne who pounced on a loose ball after Weier failed to clear.

The Jets responded when Buhagiar’s cross from the left was turned into his own net by City captain Scott Jamieson.

The visitors took the lead on the stroke of the hour mark when Marco Tillio beat Jason Hoffman down the right wing to roll the ball across goal for Jamie Maclaren to tap home.

Newcastle took the match to City and were unlucky to not be level shortly after when Reno Piscopo saw his free-kick smash the crossbar.

City found themselves down to 10 men when Aiden O’Neill received his second yellow card.

Newcastle pressed hard for an equaliser however Melbourne held out to take the three points home.

Arthur Papas and his side will return to action after the month long FIFA World Cup break against the Central Coast Mariners in Gosford on December 11.

1 | Kick-off

3 | Ingham makes a huge run down the right. He finds Mikeltadze in the box who lays the ball off to Piscopo who has his shot blocked.

20 | City take the lead through Richard van der Venne who pounces on a mistake from Jets keeper Michael Weier.

26 | CLOSE! Buhagiar gets space down the right. He cuts back inside and his shot is well saved by the keeper.

37 | GGGOOOAALLL! Buhagiar’s cross is turned into his own net by Scott Jamieson. 1-1.

Half time.

57 | Goal to City. Tillio beats Hoffman and rolls it across for Maclaren to tap it in.

59 | Jets almost respond instantly when Piscopo’s free-kick hits the crossbar.

61 | Piscopo threatens again with another free-kick narrowly missing the target.

62 | City counter and almost extend their lead whe Tillio cuts inside and hits the crossbar.

74 | Melbourne City are down to 10 men as Aiden O’Neill is issued with his second yellow card.

Full time.