Report: Jets on fire in Western Sydney


It was a drizzly evening in Sydney’s West, as the players made their way onto the greasy turf at ANZ – both on the hunt for a crucial three points.

Ernie Merrick said in pre-game it would be a clash of two determined sides and that was certainly the contest that played out, as both teams scrapped their way through the opening exchanges.

The Jets made a lively start and almost found their way to goal just three minutes in through Koutroumbis.

The Wanderers weren’t without their chances though, as they looked to hurt Ernie Merrick’s side on the counter. They went close through Riera in the 12th minute, only to be denied by a wonderful, low save from the in-form Glen Moss.

Dimi Petratos – who returned to the starting XI after being rested against Perth – opened the scoring for the Jets just past the quarter-hour mark, with a stunning strike into the top corner.

Steve Ugarkovic picked the ball up expertly in midfield and released Hoffman, who found Petratos at the back post after O’Donovan had overrun the pass – his sublime finish rewarded the Jets early dominance.

Jason Hoffman would double that advantage just minutes later, thanks to a dangerous ball into the area from Daniel Georgievski. The Wanderers couldn’t contain the cross, as it pin-balled around the 18-yard box and Hoffman perfectly placed his strike into the bottom corner.

Steven Ugarkovic Western Sydney Wanderers

The chances were coming thick and fast for the Jets as Vargas almost made it three, only to have the Wanderers defence clear off the line.

A pair of Glen Moss saves ensured we retained our two-goal lead throughout the first half, and the Jets made the Wanderers pay for their wastefulness on the stroke of half-time after Ronny Vargas was felled inside the penalty area.

The Jets awarded their first penalty of the season and with his first opportunity from the spot, Roy O’Donovan stepped up – and with his first attempt, hit Vedran Janjetovic. The Irishman made no mistake on the follow-up though, to make the score 3-0 at the break.

Keen to see things continue in a similar fashion in the second, the Jets struck with just four minutes played when Janjetovic parried a Dimi Petratos cross. It fell at the back post to Matt Ridenton, with the Kiwi firing home for his first ever Jets goal.

With things ticking along nicely, Roy O’Donovan was handed ANOTHER chance from 12 yards out when Jason Hoffman was chopped down inside the penalty area. Wary of the keeper this time around, he slammed home to make the lead five.

On the 69th minute, the Wanderers clawed one back when Mitch Duke headed home after just 19 seconds on the pitch. It wasn’t enough though, with the Jets seeing out the last twenty minutes to claim a famous victory.

Roy O'Donovan Western Sydney Wanderers