Jets unlucky in thrilling contest

The Newcastle Jets have gone down 4-2 to Sydney FC at No.2 Sportsground, with four goals scored in the first ten minutes of the game.

The game began with Sydney scoring straight from kick-off within the first minute. Madison Haley chipped it around Claire Coelho to open the scoring.

This was shortly followed by another goal for Sydney in the fourth minute, scored by Sarah Hunter.

In the seventh minute, Sydney continued to dominate on attack and bought the score line to 3-0, with a goal from Mackenzie Hawkesby after a quick counter. 

Newcastle took advantage of a one-on-one run with Sydney’s goalkeeper Katie Offer. Lauren Allan’s ball from across the goals found Adriana Konjarski who slotted one in past Offer to get a goal for the home side. 

With Sydney continuing to produce chances in the final third, Matilda’s representative Cortnee Vine was a threat to the Jets defence however she was well contained by Cannon Clough. 

The Jets had a chance with a free kick in the 23rd minute that saw Tara Andrews’ shot tipped over the bar with an outstretched hand by Katie Offer. 

Sydney kept a strong attack and were denied by a great save from Coelho in the 32nd minute. This was followed by a last-minute save off the line by Cannon Clough in the 34th minute. 

The Jets defence remained strong towards the end of the second half, with the halftime score at 3-1.


Newcastle began the second half with a goal from Tara Andrews in the 48th minute. Cass Davis produced a quality corner kick which floated into Andrews at the goal line who tapped the ball over the line as the referee ruled goal despite Sydney’s protests. 

The weather conditions meant that the Jets had the wind their way in the second half as they continued to fire away shots at Offer and control the game.

A penalty was awarded to Sydney FC in the 64th minute which was converted by Princess Ibini as she slotted the ball in the right corner, bringing the score line to 4-2.

The game became fiery as tensions rose between the two sides, with a few challenges resulting in a yellow card for Sydney’s Madison Haley.

The visitors eventually held off and took the three points home with them, with the full-time score at 4-2.

Ash Wilson’s side head to Canberra next week on Saturday the 14th of January to take on Canberra United.

Match Report by Daniella Flamiatos.