Jets defeated in Wellington


The Newcastle Jets have been defeated 2-0 by Wellington Phoenix

The Newcastle Jets have again found it difficult in Wellington after going down 2-0 at Westpac Stadium this afternoon.

For the Jets it was their seventh away loss in eight matches to Wellington Phoenix; with the latter making a very positive start in their first home game of the Hyundai A-League season.

The home side suffered an early setback when Paul Ilfill aggravated the groin injury he carried into the match and was replaced after just 14 minutes, adding to their long list of injury concerns.

Wellington Phoenix took an early lead when former Jet Tim Brown emerged unmarked in the penalty area to head home a perfectly weighted Nick Ward cross on 19 minutes.

Tarek Elrich sent in a beautiful delivery of his own 10 minutes later but stand-in goalkeeper, Tony Warner, did well to intercept the attempt with his first touch in goal after a slow start from Newcastle.

The Jets held on late as the Phoenix created a number of good chances in the final ten minutes of the first half.

A desperate Ben Kantarovski challenge denied Brown-s attempt for a second goal on 37 minutes after the Jets lost possession in their own penalty area. Nikolai Topor-Stanley skewed a clearance past his own post just minutes later adding to the frustration.

The pressure continued as Daniel had a chance to give his side a two goal advantage on 42 minutes after Ben Kennedy tipped away a cross to the back post, but couldn-t convert the opportunity.

The Jets finished the half with two consecutive corners during injury time to try and snatch an equaliser going into the break, but were unable to get the elusive goal.

Wellington Phoenix started the second half with the same intensity that they finished the first and it took a great Ben Kennedy save to keep out Chris Greenacre on 48 minutes after he was released in behind the defence for a one on one chance.

Wellington extended their lead at the 61 minute mark when Tony Lochhead-s cross found Daniel at the back post who slid in to double their advantage.

Greenacre had a chance to further extend the lead for the Phoenix on 77 minutes after a defensive slip up but failed to execute the opportunity in the final third with a mistimed pass.

Wellington continued to threaten and Manny Muscat won his side a free kick in a dangerous position as Daniel stepped up to hit the left upright with his free kick on 81 minutes.

From the rebound Newcastle broke quickly down the other end through Ryan Griffiths who was brought down on the edge of the area by Nick Ward; who was shown a straight red card for the challenge.

Brown was then shown his second yellow card in dramatic circumstances for delaying the start of play from a throw in on 90 minutes and became the second Phoenix player to be sent off.

It was a dominant Wellington Phoenix display at home and with their 14 shots on goal to Newcastle-s five.

The Jets make the return to Ausgrid Stadium next week looking to bounce back with their second win of the campaign when they face the Central Coast Mariners on Sunday afternoon.

Match Details
Wellington Phoenix 2 (T. Brown 19-, Daniel 61-)
Newcastle Jets FC 0
Sunday October 12, 2:30pm (local time)
Westpac Stadium
Crowd Attendance: 7,623
Referee: Matt Gillett

Newcastle Jets line up: 1. Ben KENNEDY (GK), 4. Nikolai TOPOR-STANLEY, 5. Tiago CALVANO, 6. Ben KANTAROVSKI, 7. Kasey WEHRMAN (2. Taylor REGAN 80-), 8. Jeremy BROCKIE (17. James VIRGILLI 68-), 11.Tarek ELRICH, 12. Jobe WHEELHOUSE, 13. Sung-Hwan BYUN, 18. Marko Jesic (22. Ali ABBAS 56-), 23. Ryan GRIFFITHS.
Substitutes not used: 19. Mathew NASH (GK)

Wellington Phoenix line up: 20. Tony WARNER, 2. Manny MUSCAT, 3. Tony LOCHHEAD, 6. Tim BROWN, 7. Leo BERTOS, 8. Paul ILFILL (11. DANIEL14-), 9. Chris GREENACRE, 12. Nick WARD, 18. BenSIGMUND, 21. Dani SANCHEZ (24. Alexander SMITH79-), 22. Andrew DURANTE.
Substitutes not used: 4. Brent GRIFFITHS, 30. Phillip IMRAY